Wednesday 20 April 2011

More support for ACT NOW - this time from the Catholic Church!

ACT NOW Core Group are delighted to confirm that we have had a reply from the Catholic Church in England and Wales via Caritas Social Action Network.

They have confirmed their support for our campaign and have contacted the DWP regarding the suitability of the WCA in its current form for people with autism. Here is an extract from their letter:

Many thanks for your letter to Archbishop Nichols, which was passed to me, regarding whether the Work Capability Assessment (WCA) format is suitable for autistic people. I share your concern at the current situation and support your efforts to address this vitally important issue.

In my capacity as Chief Executive of Caritas Social Action Network (CSAN) I have contacted the Minister of State for Employment, seeking assurances that no autistic people will be subjected to an assessment process that fails to fully appreciate their circumstances and needs. I have also requested confirmation that the concerns of autism charities raised during the 2010 WCA review will be taken into account and acted upon in the near future. I will of course forward a copy of any reply I receive.

Following consultation with our members I am pleased to lend CSAN’s formal support to ACT NOW and am happy for us to be listed on your website or in your literature as you see fit.

I hope this will assist your work and I wish you every success.

Yours Sincerely

Helen O’Brian
Cheif Executive
Caritas Social Action Network


We really hope the Church of England and Church of Scotland will come on board too.

No comments:

Post a Comment